What's the difference between filing single and filing for head of household on you income taxes?
Your marital status on last day of the financial year determines the filing status.
Below is some general information.
- Single vs Head of household.
- In order to file status of single, you should be unmarried as of last day of the financial year.
- To file as head of household, you must satisfy the following conditions
- You are unmarried as of last day of the financial year.
- You paid more than half of the cost of keeping up a home for the year
- A qualifying person lived with you for more than half of the year. If the qualifying person is your parent, he or she doesn't have to live with you.
** Based on our response to a question on quora.
Posted In: Tax